Every year in the United States over 400 workers are killed by electric shock. Most of these deaths and injuries can be prevented with these nine electric shock safety tips.
- Inspect equipment cords and extension cords before each use. Every electrical cord should be treated as a live one.
- Never cut off the third prong of a plug. If plug doses not have three prongs or if the receptacle dose not have three openings make sure the equipment is grounded another way before use.
- Only qualified electricians should repair equipment or work on energized lines.
- Take out of service faulty equipment or plugs with bent or missing prongs
- Do not disconnect electrical cords by pulling on them.
- If smell of hot or burning plastic, smoke, sparks or flickering of lights is noticed, turn off the power immediately and report it.
- If a slight shock or tingling is felt turn off the power immediately and report it.
- To insure the circuit cannot be turned on when you are working on it, be sure to turn off, lock out and tag the electrical panel.
- Get training in first aid and cardio-pulmonary response (CPR) if you regularly work on or around electrical equipment.
Electric current can cause these types of injuries if it does not kill you:
* Cardiac arrest (heart attack) because of the electrical effect on the heart.
* Nerve, muscle and tissue damage as a result of the current passing through the body.
* Another result from direct contact with an electrical source are thermal burns.