Do you need to store acids at your facility? Then you surely already know how important it is to store them safely. After all, acids are among the most dangerous substances you could have around the plant.
To help you with storing them safely, avoiding accidents, and staying on the good side of OSHA and NFPA Code 30 regulations, we’d like to give you some tips for things to watch out for as you go shopping for storage cabinets in which you can store your acids.
You’ll be looking for special acid storage cabinets, also known as corrosive storage cabinets. These are carefully crafted and offer a variety of protective measures.
The first thing to look for, obviously, is whether it has been approved by OSHA and that it meets the requirements of the NFPA Code 30. If so, you’ll know you’re on the right track. If not, look elsewhere.
Next, check for the key features that safe acid storage cabinets should have:
1) Is it made out of solid 18 gauge steel?
This is important, unless, of course, it’s a special cabinet designed for nitric, sulfuric, or hydrochloric acids. Those corrosives would simply eat holes into the steel and therefore need to be stored in cabinets made out of high density polyethylene, also called poly cabinets.
2) Does it have a finish of lead-free epoxy powder coating, which provides better protection than simple epoxy paint? This may not be an absolute requirement but it’s definitely a plus.
3) Does it have high density polyethylene trays for additional protection in the event of spills?
4) Does it have the following safety features? External and internal welded construction, adjustable galvanized steel shelves, preferably ones capable of holding 350 lbs or more. Bilingual warning labels (maybe even trilingual).
5) Does it have raised leak proof sills, at least 2 inches high? A ground connection is important as well. How about reinforced double walls with at least an inch and a half of air space between them?
Of course you know that safety should always be your top priority, as it is ours as well. So you can be ensured that any safety products, including acid or corrosive product storage cabinets you get from us always meet all of your criteria and will provide reliable protection for your employees, your facility, and you.